Friday, April 26, 2024

catching up

a friend texted me '& how are you'
whereby i thought about the litanies 
of anguish i feel regarding our uncertain
days on this third rock of the sun

but could i admit to ecstatic moments
like stepping outside the building after
a long day at the office where the mind
is shot & the feet are sore until

two blocks away the skies erupt into
a violently unexpected downpour 
when i text my wife 'it's fucking raining'
thinking that it will clear up i continue on

rather than getting pissed at getting soaked 
the wet of my shirt against my skin 
the petrichor of the new rain on the city streets
i am, in spite of myself, happy 

when a homeless man sees me taking shelter 
under a tree & says, 'how the hell did you find
the only dry spot here!  it is pouring, you 
are some kind of genius at staying dry'

which cracks me up & i tell him i'm no 
freaking genius but thank him for his 
good thoughts when he then says, 'stay dry
brother' & i say, 'you too brother'

whereby my happiness increases 
& i text my friend in reply, 'all is well here
in my domestic bohemia, in other words 
the same old same old, which is really a gift'

& i realize the routine things & the unexpected 
things are really a gift to experience
despite all the miseries visited upon us 
& the ones we cause because well shit
 
& fuck & fucking goddamn it all
move on move down move up
but moving we do because in the end
we got no freaking choice

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home