Monday, March 27, 2006

as for favorite love songs, there are many. each depends upon the time and circumstances of my life. for example, the psychedelic furs' 'love my way' takes me back to being a moody teenager in thrall to his own wounded self. or perceived wounded self, or 'selves' as tom beckett has written, for there is something scary, disturbing and sad in richard butler's vocals intoning, 'there's an army on the dance floor / a passion with a gun, my love' that really struck deep in the marrow of my longing.

so much for it at any rate. still, when it came to hardcore punk, there was not a lot of love to go around. social distortion, which remains one of my biggest loves, has recorded a few love songs. their first lp mommy's little monster contained 'another state of mind' which was an ode to hard living and long-distance affairs. then there was the old l.a. band the the germs lp gi, recorded before vocalist darby crash's fatal o.d. done allegedly in tribute to the death of sid vicious. produced, i think, by joan jett, it contains the song the other newest one with its frank imagery of coupling that had me fucking dizzy. no, it ain't by definition a love song but crash's woozy rasp and the strong backbeat was performed with nothing but love.

i date myself surely with my choices. and yet music is transgenerational. i grew up with my father playing otis redding, marvin gaye, ray charles and isaac hayes records. for me, two of the greatest vocalists of the past century are gaye and redding. i'd've swooned in their presence if they were singing just in the shower.

my favorite love song, of all time? no question it is in your eyes by peter gabriel. i've long debated with anyone who would give me the time whether the song is a devotional to the almighty or whether it is a simple love song. i think it works both ways. there is something in the music and lyrics that move beyond its structure. and it has the great youssou n'dour providing backing vocals. this song is one both anna and agreed was each in our personal top 5 love songs. this song does not take me back to a certain time in my life, for i think it is timeless, like love, or at least the ideas of love.

3 Comments:

At 5:25 PM, Blogger Emily Lloyd said...

Nice series of posts, R. "In Your Eyes" is indeed gorgeous.

 
At 6:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Richard:

I, too, love "In Your Eyes." That songs soars.

Best, Crag

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger richard lopez said...

emily, gracias

good to hear from you crag

 

Post a Comment

<< Home