Friday, September 29, 2006

i'd rather be a poet, and live off guile and beer

dylan thomas was my man during my late teens and early 20s. read everything, biographies, miscellany, poems, screenplays etc. etc. i could get my hands on by and about thomas. the welsh poet embodied at the time everything i wanted from poetry. he's the author, if my memory serves, of that quote above. and tho his star has dimmed in my firmament over the years he was the 1st example of a life lived in poetry. there were/are many poets who also embody this life too. but it was thomas who opened the door. his excesses were too extreme for me, and i discovered him as i was leaving the chemical life. among many things i desire and love in this life, the life lived in poetry is the one i ever want.

1 Comments:

At 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dylan Thomas is to 20-something-boys what Sylvia Plath is to 20-something-girls. Good for you for leaving the chemical stew -- no greater high than poesie. You're soaking in it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home