Sunday, July 13, 2008

like a few poet-bloggers friends lately i've been duking it out w/ the blues. the heat, the fires that are causing the very fouled air which is so thick at times that it does seem like winter, the normally blue sky smeared w/ brown blotting out the sun, my own insecurities as a man and poet, work as in the day-job stressful as hell are all contributors to my own funk. but i can blame my blues solely on me for life is shit as it stands but it is glorious shit and it is my own. how i react to these factors as i've listed them is part of my own faults.

the fires are not getting better and i've read that the smoky skies are expected to last till fall. it is a long, strange summer indeed. the videos b. and i made together yesterday lifted my blues. they are stupid antics but were so much fun to do. then last night as we drove home from our friends' house we played a cd of the postal service, a group that holds an especial meaning for anna and me because it was the album we listened to the most when she was pregnant w/ nicholas and was the very thing we listened to the morning we drove to the hospital for nicholas's birth. it is then appropriate i think that as we drove home nicholas insisted on a particular song 'the district sleeps alone tonight' as he sang along we could clearly make out the lyric 'my palms are sweaty' in his sweet voice which amplified a lovely evening made even more beautiful as my funk and w/ it my own desires however i might define them blew off w/ the slight breeze of a very warm california night.

2 Comments:

At 7:51 PM, Blogger Catalin said...

Hey Bo,
Just wanted to give you a shout from Australia. I think sometimes there's something extra sharp and poignant about being blue in the summer (at least for me, winter dark and cold are more likely contributors, so when I feel down and the skies are blue, I feel guilty about feeling down!). Anyway, those smoky skies sound freaky, kind of end-times-ish.

I can't watch your videos from this computer, but that sounds like a good way to deal with the blues, the smoke, facing mortality, etc.

We definitely need to get together again when I'm back there. I've been writing a lot down here, but weirdly not at all about what's around me.

Take care, friend.

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger richard lopez said...

thanks cat, everything is good. i think i'm more like a california winter person, prefer the cool and dark but i don't think i'd could hack the frozen tundra of the midwest or east. just short days, and very cool, where you can see yr breath weather. that gets my batteries charged.

call when you get back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home