Tuesday, March 16, 2010

hot pockets


we got the u.s. census in the mail today. anna wanted to fill it out and mail it back right away. cool. then she asked me, what do i consider myself.

?

am i hispanic, non-hispanic, white, what?

usually i answer that i am a typical californian. but the census doesn't have a tick box for that.

my own heritage is a rather mixed bag. i know for certain i am half norwegian. my grandmother comes from bergen. she fled norway soon as wwii was over and my mother was the first of her children born in the u.s. my mother's first language was norwegian. on my father's side i think i'd need a dna test to get a clearer answer. i know there is english, perhaps spanish, probably mexican. but no one knows for sure.

doesn't matter in my opinion. i made geof huth laugh once when we were talking about heritage. he cares very much for his surname and his own unique lineage. as for me i told him i don't really care. i am, i like to think, the person i try to make myself to be. my own name, lopez, is as common as dirt and perhaps that's as it should be. i think of myself as being fairly representative of a 21st c california, hispanic surname with a lot mixed in.

still, it's fun to create my own lineage. sometimes i am the kind that likes to eat hot pockets and watch professional wrestling. i've long thought poetry and comedy have much in common, timing, word choice, performance, the world viewed at a slant. take for example comedian jim gaffigan's essay on the subject of hot pockets. observe:

3 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, Blogger John B-R said...

Kathy and I spent a lot of time talking over which box to check, too, because as ever real white person knows, Jews are just mud people. (I'm kinda wishing I could have checked off "mud people") (since your name is "common as dirt" we can just add water and be brothers-in-mud!)

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Geofhuth said...

Hey, Richard, I laughed again, though I wasn't sure why. We are Americans, what can I say? How many of us have any purity? I can think of one person in my generation who can claim that, and the last person in my family able to carry that mantle was my all-Irish grandmother.

(Happy St Patrick's Day. I never make an attempt to wear green today. Happy birthday to my nephew Jonathan.)

We are all dirt, of course. Ashes to... My lineage, such as it is, is almost entirely farmers (people dependent on dirt), people of little monetary worth and no fame or station. In roughly descending order of percentages my lineage is German (Hessian), Irish, Swiss (French and German), English, French (French French and Alsatian), and Corsican. And I'm sure I'm missing something. All from a fairly narrow percentage of the world, each significantly different from the rest in our Europeanized minds.

Be well. I await my census form. I'll just be white. But nothing's that easy.

Geof

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger richard lopez said...

to john and geof, and for all and everyone: i raise a glass and toast us all ash and mud people!

odelay!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home