Thursday, January 21, 2021

it was a day like any other 
working from home i hear 
the commotion outside  

warm & sunny & springlike
odd weather for late january 
the fountain crowded with 

small yellow birds american 
goldfinches i think then i hear
the screech outside the window

a hummingbird pissed that his  
fountain was being used by creatures 
not himself hovering like a drone 

& looking at me thru the window  
sit at my desk as if maybe i  
could help him scare off the riff 

raff & get him back to his own 
private bath but no i was stuck
in my routine & wondered at 

the hummingbird's boldness 
i couldn't imagine what another
creature was thinking i barely 

know the contents contained 
within my own skull or why 
he was stuck outside hovering 

& looking in the window i could 
only marvel at the sight & when 
i turned my attention back to my

work the hummingbird was gone
i sat at my desk thinking
i saw something extraordinary 

something from a parable 
but no for the bird is just itself
in nature & i know hummingbirds 

are fierce & territorial but if i
could grant myself to fancy 
the hummingbird's voice

i think he was saying 

here ye inside
this is my water 
get the fuck out of my house

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home