Thursday, January 27, 2022

i remember it was the year 2000.  before the world changed.  i was in SF with some friends.  i was in North Beach on Columbus Ave outside City Lights Bookstore.  a reading was happening inside.  to inaugurate the new SF poet laureate.  lawrence ferlinghetti was among the assembled.  i didn't recognize him among the faces in the crowd.  but then i did.  i saw him.  sitting & listening.  when i noticed him he noticed me.  i don't know who looked at who first.  for his eyes locked on to mine even before my brain registered who i was looking at.  i was amazed & astonished.  & in an instant turned my gaze elsewhere.  out of embarrassment & humility.  but for a moment a great poet looked at me.  probably trying to figure out who the fuck was this dude staring thru the front windows of City Lights Bookstore.  but there it was.  i saw him.  he saw me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home