Wednesday, May 31, 2023

bot un-bot

my regular readership of this place in the pixels usually hovers around less than 100.  i am grateful to get that many readers & i am humble that readers will take a few moments out of their busy lives to read my posts.  but today, & a few days ago, the number of readers spiked to well over a thousand.  at first i'm flattered as hell.  but looking at the posts that readers clicked on stretched back to 2005.  & they were random too.  no themes.  it's possible that there are readers, or reader, like me, that will stick around the blog of a writer & go deep into their archives.  i do that a lot.  but it might be a bot that is scouring the web for, well, i don't know.  as much as i follow tech news & developments, & even as long as i've been blogging, i'm still pretty much a beginner at them.  but having one of my posts 'unpublished' from 2004 because it violated Blogger's TOS makes me go, huh.  bots do scour the interwebs.  they are also used to skew the numbers of clicks & attempt to drive traffic.  i should think that me being a small-press antipoet is of such little concern even to Skynet that john connor wouldn't give a shit.  still, this is a little weird.  not that i'm a little paranoid.  but then as the paranoid say, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not out there.  so who the fuck knows.  as i've said in a recent post about the influence of DIY punk ethos/aesthetics on my living & thinking one of the reasons why i continue to blog even if blogging is no longer the hip thing to do is that blogging allows me to self-publish.  it gives me the tools that allow me to do my own thing.  we live in a digital age/world.  publishing online is where i can practice the art as cavafy practiced poetry, or how punk rockers recorded, pressed & distributed their music & zines.  so c'mon, bots!  i am not john connor.  break me a give.  & as for all you all.  thank you for stopping by!  i really, really appreciate you!

1 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, Blogger Glenn Ingersoll said...

My blog stats seem pretty random. Sudden spikes drop way back down to cruising speed of ... I don't know ... ten a day? Whatever those numbers indicate anyway ...

When on Facebook I post a link to one of my blogs and people comment -- typically on FB -- the blog stats don't look much different, but at least I have human feedback.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home