Friday, November 20, 2009

maximinalism

i was asked tonight, lopez, you talk so voluminously, why do you write these tiny poems. my answer: i don't know but to say that i'm attracted to the short form. my eye is automatically attracted to short poems. lately i've been digging the nyc poet vincent katz and how that dude gets the maximum out of so few lines and images simply blows me away.

yet, without getting all boo-hoo about it, i think my poems lately suck big donkey dicks. not satisfied with the sound and look i'm trying to achieve. there are some poets i read with utter amazement, like katz, who challenge me. i've not felt up to that challenge.

not that i'm conceding defeat but is not writing largely an exercise of futility, of failure. success is measured in how well you fail. not that i should be really giving a shit about all this. there is no money, fame, or prestige in poetry. duh. you all know that too. but like my life, sometimes i'd like to be a better person. same goes for my writing. i'd like to get to it a bit better.

hmm. . .still, i think the short form is hard-wired in my brain. it would take some major surgery to change that. the one change for me tonight in my monthly writing group is to present a poem without a movie reference in it. that was duly noted by all present at the meeting. as for my propensity to write in a few lines or images, and to step out of those habits, that'll take some work. am i up to the task? as the bear asked the rabbit, does shit stick to fur.

5 Comments:

At 1:53 PM, Blogger Jean Vengua said...

Well, I dunno...I go back and forth between minimalism, and maxi.
Depends on the phase of the moon, I guess. ;-)

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Alex Gildzen said...

big donkey dicks??????

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Jean Vengua said...

AHEM, nooooooo.... I am referring to text line length. I am only TEXTually promiscuous.

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Alex Gildzen said...

I was questioning the shocking terminology of Mr. Lopez.

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger richard lopez said...

um, sorry, bad choice of words. perhaps a freudian slip?

in any case, we here at casa del really bad movies want to emphasize that in no way, shape or form do we endorse or condone any sort of intimacy betwen a man, or woman, or poems, and donkeys, even if consensual, and apologize for any perceived sort of spur on the good name of donkeys, myself, poems, and human kind in general.

my words were written in a moment of pique, and hope, of all the questionable things i've done and said in this life, will not be the sole cause of me having to smoke a turd in hell.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home