Sunday, May 30, 2010

why are the circle jerks in my dream?

i don't put much stock into analyzing dreams. i pretty much can't remember them anyway, but i do recall this one.

jonathan hayes was in town and i met up with him at a place near my work. the l.a. punk band the circle jerks were performing at a small club and we headed over there. this was all last minute so i hadn't called anna to tell her where i was. i saw vocalist keith morris near the entrance and i told hayes i was just gonna stay long enough to go over and shake the old punk's hand and tell him how much his band meant to me over the years. when i got inside i couldn't find morris. it was near show time and i took a piss in the tiny bathroom and decided to stay long enough to catch a few minutes of the show. i found a seat in the bleachers. the auditorium was the size of a small bedroom and the sparse audience consisted of middle-aged men and women who were wearing business attire and carrying briefcases. hayes must've left because he wasn't with me. i looked over at a couple with a small child. all three were smoking cigarettes. i couldn't believe my eyes. i got out of my seat and asked the couple, is that baby smoking?! they said, yeah, it's just handcleaner. are you out of your fucking minds! i shouted. how old are you, i asked the child. three. you guys are fucked in the head! then i got back to my seat. everyone was looking at me like i was crazy. after a few minutes i tried to ask the dude next to me who was the opening band. he said, in a very pompous tone, excuse me and turned toward the man next to him. i said, is this because of me chiding that couple for letting that baby smoke? the man very slowly said, yes, it was none of your business. i looked at my watch. almost ten pm. fuck it. time to go home. i was feeling guilt for not telling anna where i was. the club was not very far from the office. i knew the neighborhood well, but when i got outside nothing looked familiar. i recognized certain buildings but just could not orient myself and get going toward home.

then i awoke.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home