Wednesday, June 06, 2012

tell me something good



one thing good:  google celebrates the 79th birthday of the drive-in theater today with the above doodle.  on june 6, 1933 richard hollingshead jr. opened the first drive-in in camden, new jersery.  soon drive-ins were all over the country.  the peak of their popularity -- in my estimation - was in the 1960s and 1970s.  there were thousands of screens in the u.s.  my own little berg possessed about a dozen in the mid-1970s.  i fell in love with all things drive-in related.  they are now dead in our culture.  cultures change.  i am still in love.

it is summer.  anna asked me what thing or event gives me a summer feeling.  drive-ins are summer thru and thru.  below is one of my favorite intermission shorts. 

   

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home