Saturday, June 26, 2021

my fucking memory

i'm watching [after a great many years] the film stir crazy [1980] starring the great comedy pair, gene wilder & richard pryor, directed by sidney poitier, written by bruce jay friedman.  i'd seen this film in the theater [hard top (my family distinguished between indoor theaters & drive-ins because we often would see movies at both kinds of venues)] on its original release.  i'd forgotten how funny it is.  damn it is funny.  really funny.  some moments are sublime comedy.  pryor & wilder were magic together.  they are a pair of misfits who are given a lengthy prison sentence for a bank robbery they didn't commit.  wilder possesses a particular talent for rodeo bull riding.  the prison warden wants wilder to compete in the annual prison rodeo.  wilder resists until he & pryor & a small group of fellow misfit cons devise a plan to escape during the rodeo.  i love this movie.  i recall the poet garrett hongo wrote a poem about this movie.  my former professor, the late poet dennis schmitz, told me about this poem.  i remember reading it.  but - fuck me - i can't recall its title.  i did a quick search online & i can't find it.  is my memory that fucked?  that i remember reading a poem by a specific poet & yet find no evidence of it?  could this poem about this movie be written by another poet & i assigned hongo's name to it in my very faulty memory?  hell if i know.  really.  which brings me to another peeve.  how can, in cop shows, when the cops interrogate a suspect &/or witness about an event that happened years ago & that interviewee can recall even the minutest detail.  i can't remember how i got to work on some days.  often i spend my time on automatic pilot.  my literary memory i thought was acute.  i've seen some movies so often that i can play them from start to finish in my head.  perhaps that is an illusion.  & my own imagination plugs in the holes that my memory creates.  what is memory anyway but a flawed hard drive of dubious data.  even my memory of this 41 year old comedy is corrupted.  so that as i watch it right now it is like seeing the movie for the first time. 

1 Comments:

At 12:01 AM, Blogger b said...

We bad, We bad. Cool movie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home