Thursday, March 20, 2008

below are two sorta classic drive-in intermission ads. i remember them both very well as they played at nearly all the drive-ins in sac during the 1970s even tho both date from the '50s. there were also locally made adverts that i'd love to see again. one was a live feature that had people dancing to go the snack bar where you can get pizza with 'mushy-roomy-room sauce'. now doesn't that whet yr whistle? that line became a signature phrase in my family. anna and i will repeat it to each other time and again and it never fails, at least for me, to lift my spirits. at any rate, anyone who went to the drive-ins fairly regularly in sac during that time will probably know that advert very well.

i post these because i'm a geek who loves still the drive-in experience. or because of my love of drive-in theaters i'm a geek. whatever. i think we all possess a few items from our past, our childhoods, that immediately lower our blood pressure when we see, read or hear them. and that's it for me regarding these shorts. i simply love them. they are the detritus of a vanished era.

enjoy.




3 Comments:

At 10:34 PM, Anonymous ames sf said...

"one was a live feature that had people dancing to go the snack bar where you can get pizza with 'mushy-roomy-room sauce'."

I came across your blog precisely because I am trying to find that clip. Hello, former neighbor in space and time and all the best to you.

 
At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

James S Todhunter (facebook) has about 30 drive-in intermission vids. Checked em all. No pizza chef blowing a trumpet for pizza with mushy roomy room sauce. Find what I found at archive.org...please let me know at facebook if you find the chef-pizza-trumpet. Thanks : )

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Teeblog said...

I too remember the ad for pizza with "mushy roomy rooms" (I think it had a couple visiting Rome, and a pizza chef asks if they want mushy roomy rooms). I grew up in Santa Cruz, which is where I saw that ad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home