Sunday, September 19, 2010

the symmetry of reptiles

mark young's post yesterday titled harley & me is similar to my own day. on a few billboards was advertised THE SACRAMENTO REPTILE SHOW located at the convention center. so i took nicholas thinking it was a travelling exhibition. rather the show was -- is -- a convocation of buyers and sellers of snakes, geckos, and exotic insects. i'd never seen the like before and i'm telling you that some of those bugs, such as hissing cockroaches and cave spiders and a tarantula that was the size of a grown person's head, freaked me out. something primordial, that fear. nicholas loved it and was begging me to buy him a walking stick for 20 bucks. no way. but shit, my mind was reeling. i have no idea if those animals were captured from the wild or raised in captivity. i think it a mixture of both. and i'm not sure of my own thoughts regarding the buying and selling of such exotic livestock. at any rate, i'll chock it down to an education, for myself, that such fairs happen and that there are those among us who love the creepies, the crawlies and the roaches.

2 Comments:

At 12:25 PM, Blogger Jim K. said...

cool lead-in to halloween

the ugliest alien thing i've ever
seen was a cicada

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger richard lopez said...

those are pretty damn ugly

 

Post a Comment

<< Home